It occupies a position overlooking the village in a curve of the River Wenning.
The windows in the square tower include a partly blocked Venetian window.
The courtyard created in the 20th century is behind the three right bays.
His son Henry was a zealous Royalist at the start of the Civil War and his estates were afterwards declared forfeit and sold.
During the war itself, the castle was captured by Colonel Assheton in 1643 and occupied in 1648 by the Duke of Hamilton and his Scottish army.
The lateral bays project forward, as does the central three-storey porch.
All the windows are mullioned, or mullioned and transomed.
The porch has a vaulted ceiling with foliated bosses.
The hall is entered through a Tudor arch containing a Gothic-style glazed timber screen.
The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II listed building.
South of the church lies an Anglo Saxon high cross.
The architects retained the older parts, including the polygonal tower, but demolished or remodelled the section constructed for Charteris. The castle then descended via his son William Foster (1821–1884) to William's son Colonel William Henry Foster, High Sheriff for 1891 and MP for Lancaster from 1895 to 1900. The building is mainly in two storeys, and much of it has a battlemented parapet.