In January 1972 Meghalaya was made a full-fledged state. Mawkhar, Jaiaw and part of Jhalupara and Mawprem) and Laban (Lumparing, Madan laban, Kench’s Trace and Rilbong) within the Municipality of Shillong was agreed to by Hain Manik Syiem of Mylliem under the agreement of 15 November 1878.
The Shillong Municipal Board has a long history dating back to 1878, when a proclamation was issued constituting Shillong and its suburbs, including the villages of Mawkhar and Laban, into a station under the Bengal Municipal Act of 1876. But, there is no trace of Shillong in the British era maps dating back to 1878, up to 1900.
Shillong has steadily grown in size since it was made the civil station of the Khasi and Jaintia Hills in 1864 by the British.
In 1874, on the formation of Assam as the Chief Commissioner's Province, it was chosen as the headquarters of the new administration because of its convenient location between the Brahmaputra and Surma valleys and more so because the climate of Shillong was much cooler than tropical India.
Thus began the consolidation of British interests in the Khasi-Jaintia Hills.
A serious uprising by the Khasis against foreign occupation of their land followed.
Shillong is the capital and hill station of Meghalaya, also known as "The Abode of Clouds", one of the smallest states in India.
It is the headquarters of the East Khasi Hills district.
As the legend goes, Shillong was named after a boy called ' Aahlad', who was born to a virgin mother in a village near Bisi.
This boy later became a handsome youth and was made the local deity; and the place was named after him.
Shillong was capital for composite Assam during the British regime and later till a separate State of Meghalaya was formed.
David Scott, the British civil servant of the East India Company, was the Agent of the Governor-General North East Frontier.
During the First Anglo-Burmese War the British authorities felt the need for a road to connect Sylhet and Assam.