It is huge and gracious: a vast 25-room edifice which is surely Maryborough's finest building.Erected in 1890, it is a red-brick structure with plenty of stucco trimming for contrast.Between the primary school and Clarendon St, on the western side of the road, is one of the oldest buildings in town - the former Methodist Church (1854), not currently open to the public. On the far side of Havelock St is the town's civic centre located on the site of the original government camp in the area.
By 1856, when land sales commenced, High Street had emerged as a business thoroughfare and Maryborough had become the commercial and administrative centre of the goldfields (it was probably chosen over Carisbrook because of opposition from local squatters).Maryborough became a borough in 1857 and reef mining began in the late 1850s.The imposing Victorian post office was built in 1877 as a post office, courthouse and sub-treasury.The present town hall was built in 1887 and the present courthouse in 1892-93.Worsley Cottage Midlands Historical Society Museum is located in a bluestone building in Palmerston St known as Worsley Cottage (1894 with pre-1908 extensions). To its rear is an old slab squatter's hut from Plaistow which was the home of the Joyce family - the first white squatters of the Moorlort Plains.
There are photographs and memorabilia relating to the local area. Methodist Church Walk along to Inkerman St and turn right.At first there were plenty of nuggets which encouraged shallow alluvial mining.A survey took place in 1854 and a police camp, Methodist church and canvas hospital were set up.There are also historic residences in Park Rd, Argyle Rd, Nolan St, High St, Clarendon St and Napier St.Galleries The Central Victorian Arts and Craft Centre is open seven days.The station is located at the end of Station St, which runs off Burns St.